Saturday, May 4, 2013

Week 2


April 23, 2013

Ola!

 So this week was crazy, so much happened. On Saturday I turned 20! Yep...no longer a teenager...so weird! The biggest surprise that day was getting a package with a cake in it! That was probably the best part of my day. And I would like to thank my family for all the cards and letters, I loved them all! My district also tried to make sure I had a good day. The elders kept saying- hey sister Davis. Me- what?. Them- Happy Birthday!!! Ha ha they are great. My district also sang to me in Portuguese, I didnt really understand it but still it was fun.

 

The biggest thing that happened was last Tuesday, for devotional Richard G. Scott came and spoke to us. But before I talk about that, let me mention that I was in the choir and as we were singing- "Nearer my God to Thee" I looked right behind the director and an older man (ok, so he was probaby 50) was fighting to hold back tears. It was such a tender moment for me to see how much a simple song can affect someone and I am so grateful that I got to see that. Richard G. Scott's talk was amazing! He talked a lot about how he loved seeing so many sister missionaries. He also talked about learning a language and prayer. I feel like this talk was kind of meant for me and it has really helped me this week in realizing that I can do this. He said something that I really like- "sometimes what is best is not expedient for you." That really hit me. So learning Portuguese quickly in the MTC would be amazing and I wish it would happen but maybe that is not what is best for me right now. I am definitely learning patience with trying to learn Portuguese, it is so hard! It was also crazy because Elder Scott finished his talk and we sang a hymn then right before a sister missionary said the prayer he ran back up to the podium and said- "remember you have been called and He will fit the task to your capabilities." I need to remember that. Heavenly Father knows us and I know that he would never make me do something I cannot do. I just need to have more faith that things will work out :)

 

 The first Sunday I was here in the MTC my district leader told all of us that he could give us blessings of comfort if we wanted one. So I kind of stuck that in the back of my mind. Then Tuesday (I think) I had the feeling that I should ask if I could get a blessing and I put that thought off for a little while. Then my district leader kept asking me questions and it seemed really weird to me that he was talking to me so much. But then I remembered that I had been feeling like I should get a blessing and so I asked him and I ended up getting a blessing the next day. It also turns out that he had been praying for ways to help members of our district and had been wondering how he could help me. Getting a blessing was the best thing I could do and I feel so much better. So if you are ever in doubt that you should get a blessing, just get one, it will help.

 

 I am learning so much here and I am so grateful for the opportunity to serve a mission. My life has already been changed and its only been almost 2 weeks. Going on a mission really makes you realize how much help you really do need from Heavenly Father and also how He is always ready and willing to help. Heres my short testimony in Portuguese- Eu sei que Jesus Cristo meu salvador. Ok, thats all I've got right now, but I do know this gospel is true and that through faith we can do anything! Have a great week everyone!

 

Love,

 Sister Kaycee Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment