Monday, April 8, 2013

Go and Do

Last October when the announcement was made that girls could now serve a mission at 19, I knew I had to make a decision. A lot of girls knew they wanted to go right when the announcement was made, but I didn't, and I knew this was something I had to seriously consider. I decided that the only way I could know if serving a mission was the right choice for me was to pray about it. So I prayed...a lot. Read my scriptures...a lot. But I wasn't getting an answer. I made a list of the pros and cons of going on a mission. I was discouraged after a few days that I still didn't know what to do.

Then...my answer came. It didn't come in a way I thought it would. I had been at work, looking at my pros and cons list and realized that all of my doubts and fears of going on a mission were gone. I was going to go, and I was excited.

Then on December 6th, I received my mission call...Brazil Vitoria Mission, leaving April 10th. I was shocked that I was going to Brazil, I hadn't wanted to go foreign, but I was going and I knew that going on a mission was the best thing I could do.

So the last 4 months have been crazy with all the preparations that come with going to a foreign country. A lot of people thought that not being in school and not having a job would be great and that I would basically be on vacation. But preparing to go on a mission is not a vacation, its hard, it has many ups and downs.

But I do think having a lot of time to prepare has helped me. I feel like my testimony has been strengthened. Believe me, the adversary will work so hard on you before you leave. At one point I was having a hard time and my mind was filled with questions and doubts- why am I going on a mission? I will never be a good missionary. How will I learn the language? But a friend of mine helped me though all of that by saying that because I am doing what the Lords wants me to do, Satan is losing, but he would be doing everything in his power to convince me that I am doing the wrong thing. This made a lot of sense to me and I realized that serving a mission was going to be hard, but it will be worth the sacrifice.

So that's my story. I am serving a mission because I know that is what I am suppose to do right now. Its going to be hard, but hard things make us stronger. And if I can help, even just one person come closer to Christ (even if its just me) than serving a mission will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment